I'm diving right into a song that I started years ago and wrote for the guitar and voice. Have you ever known someone who is so good at listening that they make you feel like you're the only person in the world, and it's a healing experience just to talk to them? Imagine that person and that feeling. The "you" that the song addresses is actually the memory of the person, a memory and feeling so strong that it could make me feel uplifted and protected all night, even though I was alone. This is why the person that the song addresses is born of the evening and dies at the dawning. It's a memory, the shadow of the person, that has done its job and now vanishes as I awake. I hope that I can paint in song the feeling that I actually had, because it was wonderful, and I still long for it. Who wouldn't?
The song is tentatively titled "Evening Song." I have a long first verse and a transition, but no actual chorus. I'm not sure I want one. If I put one in, though, the title will probably change. But it probably takes a minute or more to get to where the chorus would start. I will have to think some more on that one.
Now that I'm re-learning the guitar chords, may I just say that I hate F?! I HATE F!!! It hurts my wrist to play it!
I'm finding though that singing and playing this song is healing for me. It takes me back to that place a little bit. I have tried to make the chord progression interesting and a little unexpected, and the melody beautiful. If I can figure out how to finish this one, it would be a song I'd be proud to put on this project.
No comments:
Post a Comment