Saturday, December 6, 2008

Heart We Will Forget Him

I FOUND IT!  I ordered 5 copies of the SSA arrangement of "Heart We Will Forget Him" (words by Emily Dickinson, music by James Mulholland, 1985 National Music Publishers).  When it comes I'll see if there's a number to call on it.  Perhaps just placing a call to them I can find out if/how to get permission to use this on my CD and to take liberties with Mr. Mulholland's arrangement too... pretty much to keep the basics of the melody and everything else to be rearranged.  Some composers are funny about that kind of thing and others are wonderful so who knows what to expect.  I hope he's still alive.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see about that song from The Secret Garden.  I do think that if there's a hope of being able to use these songs on the CD that I need to look into getting permission now.

My baby has been sick so I didn't get back to "Evening Song," but I think I know the direction I want to take with it and I think I will find the time soon.  I need silence and solitude to write, which is practically impossible with 3 tiny kids in the house!  However, the baby usually ends up in our bed at some point in the night and the boys have their own room, so I've been sneaking into her room at night to write.  I haven't woken anyone up yet even though I was playing the guitar!  I'm sooooo looking forward to having a week to write like a madwoman, but for now, I'll take whatever writing time I can get!

No word back from Olivet yet.  If that doesn't work out I will seek out a church that will let me use some space to write and practice with other musicians.  My husband's mother (I call her "Mom" too) was honored and excited to accept our invitation to come to Michigan and help Shane with the kids for a week while I write the material for this project.  I wish I could do this during Christmas break at the college so I could have a totally quiet conservatory without even so much as a class going on!  It would be cold though - they turn down the heat in all the buildings during the break.  Ah well, solitude can come at a price!

No comments:

Post a Comment