Friday, December 5, 2008

Kick off

I've given myself a budget of $5000 and a timeline of 2 months to create a music CD of all-original material.  I'm honestly not sure if this is realistic but it's my goal.  To start, I purchased a Mac iBook and a guitar - a lovely little Ibanez from their Exotic Wood line.  That alone was quite a chunk of change!

The mac came with a program called Garage Band but I'm dubious that this will help.  I'll check it out, but my initial plan is to get Finale and Tabledit.  I'll score out all the music in Finale and I'm using Tabledit to figure out what I want the guitar parts to sound like as well as to help me to learn to play what I write for the guitar.  I'm rusty and still trying to remember how to play some songs I wrote on the guitar!  It's coming back to me fast - don't worry!

When the CD is done, I'll have more than CDs to offer; I'll also be able to publish the sheet music in various forms and the guitar tabs.  I always receive a lot of requests for sheet music, so this will make many people happy, I'm sure.  It will also save time during the recording process if I have parts scored out for hired musicians.  I'm not opposed to jamming as long as what the musicians actually play gets recorded as sheet music.  This is because of the frustration I and many others have experienced purchasing sheet music from artists like Tori Amos only to find that the parts written vary greatly from what Tori actually plays (and the beautiful section at the beginning of "Mother" was missing entirely).  I'm going to do my best to make sure that the sheet music for this project doesn't disappoint!  By the way I love you, Tori - sorry to pick on you!  I'm a huge fan!

My husband has graciously agreed to let me spend a week away from home writing the material for this album.  His mother will be flying in to help take care of our 3 children.  I'm hoping to spend the week at my alma mater, where there is a conservatory of music and even a recording studio.  I don't know if I would be using the studio at all, but the thought of having a nice practice room to write in and some actual solitude is inviting!

No comments:

Post a Comment