Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Finale headaches!

Finale finally arrived today, but it was the academic version!  Um... first of all, I could have purchased that version for $200 less.  I spent the extra money for two reasons: I have no academic affiliation (required to register and use the software) and I will be selling my work product commercially!  I sent an inquiry to the seller then went to the dentist.  When I came back my husband informed me that our 3-year-old  had ripped open the box!  Now I'm wondering if I can return it at all!  The seal is broken; I can't prove that I didn't load the software on my computer.  I can't use it.  I might not be able to return it either.  And I over-paid for what my child opened by $200.  The full version is about $500 and the academic is roughly $300.  Man, I am so stressed.  I needed this 2 weeks ago!  I don't have time for this hassle!  My saving grace may simply be doing a chargeback through the credit card company, since the seller shipped the wrong product.  I'm not that familiar with Amazon Marketplace but they probably have some sort of appeal process too.

I got a nice note from Chara that was filled with encouragement and my husband also talked me up a bit and helped my slump.  I'm soldiering on; I'm just wondering when I'll actually get the Finale version that I need and can use.

Meanwhile I have been thinking a lot about the music that moves me.  Folk music with European influences (especially Ireland) comes to mind, and I think the influence is readily apparent in my sound.  It occurred to me today, however, that I've loved and enjoyed American folk music for as long as I can remember, and I sing it all the time.  I should do some arrangements of old folk tunes from both sides of the Atlantic - the songs that move me.  "Shenandoah" comes to mind, as well as "Greensleeves" and a couple of versions of "An Irish Blessing."  One thing I respect about Loreena McKennitt is her research; she travels to foreign lands, visits churches and libraries, researches histories and languages and then makes amazing music from the influence of the total culture.  I can only imagine the work that must have been involved in digging up "Bonny Portmore"!  That lovely song might have been lost to the ages were it not for her work!  Although I can't start traveling in search of inspiration at this time, I can do some research, and we'll see how the inspiration hits when I do.

Another thought is that my American Lit book from college is marked to kingdom come - I just loved so much of the literature in it, especially Emily Dickinson!  I think it would be worthwhile to crack it open again and perhaps set some old literature to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment