Thursday, January 15, 2009

Overflowing

I'm writing a pretty song tonight.  It's so me.  The narrator beckons her lover to meet her in Camelot - to leave behind winter, bondage, distance or whatever else keeps them apart and meet her in the only perfect place they will ever know - their dreams.

I reconnected with an old friend from Florida tonight.  That was cool.  I need to reach out to those who have always loved and supported my music and who have encouraged me to create my CD and to share it with the world.

Just tonight I started tossing around a new idea.  This is kind of outrageous to me, but... it could work!  What if I made a video of me singing each song and put it on YouTube.  People who follow this blog will be able to follow all the songs as they come out, listen to everything and help me decide which tunes go on the CD!  I could either do that by voting or by sheer number of plays on each video.  That way I would be in touch with what people like and I could invest the time and money into developing the songs that are really touching people.  This could also give people a chance to discover me and generate a little interest as things go along.  When the CD has finished production and is at DiscMakers getting finished, I could start taking pre-orders so that the first press of the CD won't have to sit around - as soon as it's available from DiscMakers, Shakia and I can start shipping them.

I can't believe I'm going to be on CD Baby and on iTunes simultaneously with my first CD release.  My ringtones will even be available for sale!  Is this insane or what?  I never dreamed this could be possible when I was young.  All I knew was that Merle Haggard had given me the dream of becoming a songwriter the moment I first heard "This Song is Mine" in 1981 (I turned 6 that year).  I didn't want to be Merle, but I loved what he wrote and decided that someday I, too, would be able to write music like he did.  Man, what I wouldn't give to meet Merle and tell him that!

Well off I go to work on "Camelot" some more, and perhaps on "Wholeness of Heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment